Purchasing a gift for the opposite sex can be intimidating, especially when it comes to jewelry.
Depending on where you turn for advice, you’re going to hear different recommendations and it’s easy to get overwhelmed but no matter who you end up making that final purchase with, these tips are sure to make the process that much easier.
You never know, you might end up enjoying yourself. I’m just kidding, but really, you’ll thank me later.
Observation is key
Has your other half ever got dressed up for date night and you’ve asked something along the lines of “… Is that dress new?” and she’s either responded “this old thing?” like you’re on the set of a 1940’s movie? Or you find out that it’s been in and out of her wardrobe for 2+ years and you haven’t noticed?
Either way, that kind of approach isn’t going to cut it here. Take mental notes of what kind of jewelry she currently wears. Focus mainly on the type of chain she likes (gold, silver etc) and the ‘charms’ or pendants she favors.
Don’t worry. Your secret is safe with me. I’m not going to suggest that you ask for her measurements and I certainly wouldn’t recommend wrapping a tape measure around her neck- not very subtle. There is a way around this, however. Here are the universal measurements for adult women:
- Choker length: 16 inches
- Length to collar bone: 17-19 inches
- Falls just below the collar bone: 20 inches
- At neckline: 22 inches
- Just below neckline: 24 inches
And if you’re still in doubt, take one of the necklaces that she already owns and grab a measuring tape. The old-school way! (Don’t forget to measure to clasp too).
If you don’t have an eye for this type of thing, it can be easy to order something online and hope for the best. After all, you can’t go wrong with jewelry, right? Necklaces are an investment but that doesn’t mean it’s going to cost you your left arm to put a smile on her face.
Shop around for the best deals and when you see one you like, go in store and see if you’re still as sure about it. If you’re not 100% happy, look elsewhere.
Take your time
I’m hoping that, because you’re taking the time to read this, you have a while to weigh up your options (I suggest a good few months for this) but I realize that some of you may have left it to the last minute and are having a frantic search online for assistance, in which case, find a day when you have time to yourself and visit your local shopping mall but expect to be paying a little more. Remember, time is money. Oh and good luck!
Otherwise, I’d suggest checking out different online retailers and picking out a few that you like the look of, bookmark them and check back in a couple of weeks to see if they are having a sale. This also allows you to work out what kind of pieces you can afford with your budget.
Sentiment is everything
The thing that really makes jewelry special is the meaning behind it. If there’s a certain brand that you and/or she has a special connection to, shop there. If not, I would suggest investing some time into the pendant/charm that you want to feature on the showstopper. Here’s some ideas to inspire you to personalize your gift:
- Angel: symbol of faith, guidance and protection.
- Angel Wing: Symbol of spirituality, protection and love.
- Buddha: A protective symbol, brings luck and positivity.
- Bullet: Worn as a symbol of protection.
- Butterfly: A lucky symbol representing love and new beginnings.
- Cross: Believed to ward off evil and worn as a symbol of protection.
- Dragonfly: Represents courage, strength and happiness.
- Feather: A sign of freedom and courage.
- Her birth stone
- Get the charm engraved with a message
What is her taste?
Does she wear the same necklace every day or does she have a select few pieces that she only brings out on special occasions? Keep these thoughts in mind when you’re choosing your metal. Let’s start off with the ones you’ve probably already heard of:
- Sterling Silver is 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals. Pure silver is a very soft metal and so when it’s mixed with another metal, it becomes stronger—perfect for everyday use.
- Gold does not tarnish however pure gold often too soft to be made into jewellery.
- Gold Filled pieces are created by bonding thin layers of gold to a base metal center, such as brass. This is the best alternative to solid gold, and is perfect for both every day and occasional wear.
- Rose Gold is one of the most popular metals around right now, especially for young women. Rose Gold is an alloy formed of gold and copper to create a metal with a reddish tint. Although they can tarnish quicker than other gold, it can be maintained in the same way.
If you want to read some more information on what kind of metals have certain qualities, you can read all about them here.
Ask for help
Now you know what type of style she likes, you’ve spent your time productively scoping out the best pieces and even have a couple ideas in your head (extra boyfriend points), it’s time to ask for some help.
You’ve done well so far, all credit to you but don’t be afraid to ask for assistance before making your final decision. If asking for help in store is a little intimidating for you, try asking a family member of hers. Sisters are a good source of info.
Some of my favorite necklaces
Finally, if you’re still not sure what to buy your girlfriend, check out these romantic necklaces I found on Amazon. Would one of these suit your girlfriend’s taste?